Thursday, February 22, 2024

Final Blog Post

My Relationship With Technology

My relationship with technology has been changing every day. Growing up I always wanted to be famous and be all over social media and have everyone know who I am but I never thought about the negative sides of being social media famous. The pressure and no privacy is something no one ever talks about. I am a social media and digital marketing major here at High Point but not to become social media famous but to run social media accounts and try to show the other side of social media and it’s not as glamorous as it seems.
I think my relationship with technology is the healthiest but I really am trying to get better every day with my actions and time online. I do believe that technology is vastly improving my knowledge and helps better my career but I don’t think that's the case for all majors and people. I am happy with my online footprint because I have in fact googled myself to see what future employers will see and all you can find is my work here at High Point and other freelance jobs. I know never to post something on social media that I wouldn’t want my boss to see.
My online footprint is probably larger than that of my classmates because my whole job is online. I have multiple social media accounts and my own website. On this website, there is access to my social media accounts and business email

All my social media accounts are public because they are where I share my work. I have been a freelance photographer for the past four years and networking is sadly far more important than the work I can show. People assume people have better work just because they have a bigger following online. I have a personal portfolio and my own website that I regularly update with new work. I also use social media daily and sometimes more than I would like. I use Snapchat as my main source of communication because that's what most people my age have and it’s how I stay in touch with my friends and even some of my family. 
When I was younger I used to share everything online not knowing that it would stay there forever. Growing up I thought it would be okay to post an address where I was and not think about how anyone could see this information. I sometimes struggle with what information to put online because my future career is about making connections online. I would never share my personal address or email but I have a business email that I have on my website.





Outside of work, I try to limit my social media time because it is physically draining sometimes, as a former college athlete I would constantly compare myself to other athletes from other teams and even my team and ask myself why I wasn’t as good as them. Even seeing supermodels online I would see these beautiful women getting teared down by people who don’t know them commenting hateful things just because they can hide behind a screen. I think this makes people afraid to post what they want online because of cyberbullying. I think during COVID 19 people became dependent on their phones and we never went back to the same way and people find comfort in their phones.

No comments:

Post a Comment